You had me at Mazurka ...

Some mazurkas wot we might play!
"So," said Steve Gruverman, "at NEFFA, do you want to do a mazurka --"

"Yes."

"-- workshop with --"

"Yes."

"-- Lynn Baumeister?"

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"You had me at Mazurka."

To summarize: At the New England Folk Festival (a.k.a., NEFFA), the Nouveau Chapeau quintet will be doing a mazurka dance workshop with instructor Lynn Baumeister. The festival runs from April 15 to 17. We are doing this workshop on Saturday evening, the 16th.

We've put together a nice set of mazurkas to work up (see the picture to the right), and begin rehearsing in a week or so.

I've made no secret of my love of the mazurka in all varieties -- from its galumphy mid-tempo version all the way to the current, "sexy" 9/8ish variety. An embarrassment of riches. That's what my life is.

Labels: , , , ,